October 5, 2007

rona, ca. 1911



a short story i learned last night:

like many small children, my great-grandmother rona once decided to run away from home. i sort of think it could have been over a grave injustice (such as putting away her toys) imposed by her mother, but this information has unfortunately been lost to the sands of time. her runaway attempt was more successful than some, in that she actually made it out the front door without being foiled by her mother or anyone else.

this was where she ran into trouble.

when her father came home from work, he saw her standing forlornly on the street corner near the house. "what are you doing?" he asked.

"i'm running away from home."

"then why are you still here?"

"i'm not allowed to cross the street."

rona brown rose richman, (1906-1991)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

enjoyed this story....thanks!!! :)

Anonymous said...

love this photo...

maura said...

that is impossibly sweet.
thank you for sharing.

also: i imagine this little girl, in a similar pose, just confused as to how to make her next move.

her outfit is very chanel though.. low slung belt, boxy shirt dress. tres chic!

maggie! said...

that is the cutest thing I have heard in so long. I knew a boy with a similar tale growing up, where he had to go home for a snack. I always packed a handkerchief on a stick and walked to the playground across the street. It's a rite of passage, made so much cuter by good kids and adult rules.

rebecca said...

i have a friend whose mom helped her pack and set her outside on the doorstep when she threatened to run away. it cured her of wanting to do that really quickly.

i don't think i ever ran away. i am much too good for my own good.

Anonymous said...

I ran away from home once when we lived on Valley vista. I think Mom helped me back but that could be too many readings of Ramona to my third graders over the years. But I do remember standing on the front porch alone, which was never allowed.